Home » Online Catalog » Pinewood Derby®
Wheel Truing Mandrel Set
Product ID: RMXY9613
The S-m-o-o-t-h Way to more speed!
Can a tool this small make a big difference in how your Pinewood Derby® car performs? The answer: absolutely!
It's true that each official wheel and axle set is virtually identical to every other wheel and axle set. However, that also means that every set is just a little bit different. And sometimes, that's all it takes to make a fast car the winning car!
With tires, the differences are roundness and smoothness. And the rule is: the rounder and smoother the tire, the faster your car is going to be. And the easy way to make your tires as round and smooth as they can be is the Wheel Truing Mandrel Set.
Here's how you do it: 1) Put the mandrel in an electric drill. (Remember: when working with power tools, be sure to have an adult on hand to help you.) 2) Attach a wheel to the mandrel. 3) Turn on the electric drill. 4) Use the sandpaper sheets (120-grit first, then 220-grit) to true-up your tire's shape and smooth away minor surface imperfections. 5) Repeat for the other three tires.
Here are a few tips:
- Have an adult help you. We can't stress this too much.
- Fold your sandpaper into quarters. Switch to a new quarter when you start another tire. That way, you'll have enough sandpaper for all four tires.
- Sand with a light touch. Don't mash the sandpaper against a moving tire, or it will quickly become too hot to touch. All the sandpaper has to do is touch the surface to do the work. Nice and easy does it.
- Check your work frequently. Stop the drill, unplug it and look at what the sandpaper is doing to the tire. Dull spots show you where the sandpaper has been working. Shiny spots show where the surface hasn't been touched. The goal is to sand until every part of the tire's surface has been "dulled" by the sand paper.
- Be patient and work slowly. Hurrying is a sure way to make mistakes and (possibly) hurt yourself. If you find yourself hurrying, stop and come back later. Having a fast car is important…but your safety is even more important.
Proper tire care is just one more step toward winning more races. Good luck!
- 1 sheet each of 120- and 220-grit sandpaper
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
Boy Scouts of America®, the Universal Emblem, Pinewood Derby® are registered trademarks or
trademarks of the Boy Scouts of America. Manufactured under license. All rights reserved.
© 2009-2013 Revell Inc. A subsidiary of Hobbico, Inc.