Home » Online Catalog » Pinewood Derby®
Product ID: RMXY9648
How to get your car "in shape" for racing!
Everybody has an idea of what the perfect Pinewood Derby® car looks like. The best choices for most drivers are the kits with pre-shaped bodies, such as the Racer car or Premium Racer Car kits. They're an easy way to enjoy some of the most popular body styles with a lot less time and effort.
However, some drivers are willing to invest a lot of time, creativity and pride in creating a special, one-of-a-kind body. And it's for those drivers that our Basic Racer Kit and Carving Set were created. Here's how it works.
Step 1: Draw your design on the block of wood provided. It's already legal length
Step 2: Place your block in a vise. This holds your block steady while you're cutting and shaping.
Step 3: Cut out the basic shape with one of the wood blades. Use the Medium for rough cuts in large areas. Use the Fine and Extra-Fine blades where extra care is needed, say for small details or work in cramped quarters.
Step 4: Use the 4-way rasp to rough shape the body. Use the surfaces that have coarse teeth first. Switch the surfaces with fine teeth to smooth surfaces before sanding.
- Get adult help if you can. You can probably shape the body alone, but work will go faster and easier with the help of an experienced adult.
- Use the hacksaw or extra-fine blades for cutting metal. Use the fine and medium blades only for wood.
- Hold the blade straight when you tighten the wing nut. Otherwise, the blade can twist in the saw and make work more difficult. Also, don't over-tighten the wing nut. Tighten it only until tightening it any more takes a lot of effort.
- Blades with more teeth per inch leave a smoother cut, but cut more slowly than blades with fewer teeth
- Use a gentle, regular stroke while you saw. This gives you much more control and results in better cuts. Pressing too hard or trying to saw too fast can break the blade or ruin the shape you're trying to create. Easy does it.
- Four-way rasp
- Blade handle
- Two Extra-fine blades (25T/in)
- One Fine Blade (19T/in)
- One Medium blade (15T/in)
- One Hacksaw blade (25T/in)
- Instruction sheet
Optional tools and accessories:
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
Boy Scouts of America®, the Universal Emblem, Pinewood Derby® are registered trademarks or
trademarks of the Boy Scouts of America. Manufactured under license. All rights reserved.
© 1995- Revell Inc. A subsidiary of Hobbico, Inc.